Do Mantra have Power?
Mantra is one word or is a group of words, such as "Hreem" or "Om Namo Bhgavatey Vaasudevaaya". They are supposed to have extraordinary immense power in their sounds which when pronounced repeatedly (Jap or Jaap) create great effects. It has a silent energy which has transformation power on the person who utters it. By Mantra a Devtaa is invoked. Chanting Mantra is like to awake a person from deep sleep.
Chanting Mantra helps to get some work done or to attain Siddhi. Some people have strong belief in chanting Mantra to get their work done, while many consider it a hoax. What do you believe? Do Mantra have power? Perhaps we may not know about their failure, but at least we can know about their successes --
(1) Whoever has known Shankaraachaarya Jee, must be knowing that by reciting Kanakdhaaraa Stotra he rained golden Aamalaa (golden gooseberry) on an old woman's hut.
--He composed Subramanyam Bhujangam at Tiruchendur and relieving himself of the effects of Black Magic.
--He also composed Narasinha Stotram and escaping from the Kaapaalik.
(2) Vidyaaranya Teerth was instrumental in the formation of Vijayanagar Kingdom and how did he get money for that. He chanted Kanakdhaaraa Stotra and got the money.
(3) Madhwaachaarya Jee, when challenged Ved and their efficacy by Buddhists took a dead plant and chanted Ved and showed it and showed it coming to life.
(4) Brahmanya Teerth revived from death one Srinivaasaachaarya and got promise from him to donate the child born subsequently. That child was famous Vyaas Teerth.
(5) Raaghavendra Teerth revived a village chief Desai's dead child.
(6) Ragottam Teerth gave Mantra Akshdai to an uneducated Math cook known as Rotti Venkanaachaarya. On receiving it Venkannaachaarya became a very great scholar and wrote Bhaashya subsequently.
(7) There was one Dwait who was the disciple of Ragottam Teerth. He always used to chant what Dwait people chant - "Agrato Narasinh cha Prishtatho Gopee Nandah Pasvaryo Asto Sasharo Raam Lakshman". And on the way he was attached by a group of thieves but they ran away because they found Raam and Lakshman protecting him.
(8) Muthuswamy Deekshtar composed Amrit Karshinee in Amrit Varshinee Raag and it rained.
(9) Tyaagraajaa composed Triteeyaagaradh at Tirupati and the screen moved and he was able to have Venkatraman Swamy's Darshan.
(10) These two examples I am citing from a bit old times -
---Poet Mayoor Bhatt wrote Soorya Shatak to cure himself from Leprosy. When he recited its 6th stanza, surprisingly Sun god appeared before him and he asked him to cure him from leprosy. Then Sun god threw a ray on his body and that cured his leprosy.
---Another example is of the great Poet Baan Bhatt who wrote Chandee Shatak and propitiated Devee with the 6th syllable of his this Shatak to join the cut hands and feet.
(11) A Jain leader Maanatungaa allowed himself with 42 chains and got locked up in a house. He then composed 44 verses of Bhaktaamar Sootra and freed himself.
And there are many more examples....
These examples show that Shlok and Mantra's result depends on Adhikaaree (who deserves) and his Taaratamya (wave length with the Deity)
If you have any other example or your own experience please do write in the Comments section.